Flash 9: For Whom The Bell Tolls.

Following the Tuesday protests, WhatsApp statuses have been flooded with pictures of dead bodies of young Kenyans shared for all the world to see. Kenyans are in a mad frenzy to prove a point? "What's the point?" You may ask. To which I would answer even as the Swahili proverb tells us: 'Mchuna ngozi huvutia kwake' which loosely translates to 'every skinner pulls to his side'. 

However, the constant exposure to all these depressing stories on Kenyan socials has forced me to ponder on the brevity of life, the value of life and the meaning of life. I find myself assailed with unresolved thoughts on life and death. And when one person asked me in regards to the Tuesday protests, 'How many people have been confirmed dead so far?' I remembered John Donne's poignant poem, For Whom The Bell Tolls. 

No man is an island,
Entire of itself. 
Each is a piece of the continent,
A part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea, 
Europe is the less.
As well as if a promontory were.
As well as if a manner of thine own.
Or of thine friend's were.
Each man's death diminishes me,
For I am involved in mankind.
Therefore, send not to know 
For whom the bell tolls,
It tolls for thee. 

As we cast a casual glance at the fall of mankind, not just in our country but all around the world, whether by governments or not, let us be reminded that every time that death bell tolls, it tolls for us. 

As always, I look forward to your thoughts. Tschuss! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flash 7: An Epiphany.

Flash 6: A Land Without Borders?

Flash 1: On Fear.