Flash 8: An Authentic Win

"Olivia?" I called out, staring disheartened at her portion of the group project.
"Yes," she responded.
"Well", I started, trying to find tactful words to articulate my concerns about the work without offending her.
"You writing... Its different. You write as if you're talking to the lecturer," I eventually stated, hoping that she'd discern the underlying concern in my tone. 
"Yes. That is my writing style," she said, clearly unperturbed. 
"Okay... So you mean to say this is how you write all your academic work?" I inquired once more to confirm. 
"Yes," she confirmed. "In fact my lecturers love my writing style." She added proudly.
Now, to describe her writing, Olivia wrote simply and directly, and just as I said, as one would when talking to another face to face. Her writing lacked the elaborate embellishments and great efforts of one striving to impress, a stark difference to my own writing style and preference. 

At this point, I was at a loss of words. I felt like revising the work to enhance its "impressiveness" but felt it would be inappropriate and overstepping the boundaries we had established. According to our agreed upon division of tasks, that was hers to do and interfering because of stylistic differences would seem disrespectful. Besides, I knew her to be a diligent student, with a sharp intellect. If she'd excelled for four years in school with this writing style, then I would have to trust that we'd ace this one too. We proceeded with the work together, giving it our all. She continued to do the writing and at the end of the semester, it turned out to be one of my best performed units. 

This incident has always remained etched in my mind every time I contemplate on the concepts of authenticity and originality. Granted, the motifs of authenticity and originality are wide and multifaceted, taking many different philosophical bends. However, my intent for this post is to underscore the importance being true to ourselves. 

One of the greatest challenges I have faced as a youth is the pressure to imitate others. Pressure to conform to a mold that is not my own. Pressure to talk like someone else, to adopt a certain mindset in order to fit in, dress a certain way to appear fashionable, hang out with a certain group to become popular among other expectations. At various stages of my life I have grappled with the urge to become someone I am not, facing both internal and external pressures. A phenomenon that is not exclusive to me alone, but rather a shared experience among all individuals, I believe. 

As I mature, I realise that there's beauty, ease and grace in embracing our true selves. There is a depth and potential in us that remains untapped when we strive to be someone other than ourselves. This is because time that would have been spent growing and rediscovering ourselves is wasted at imitating. We forfeit our growth and development when we conform to systems and values that are incongruent with our authentic selves. 
Authenticity enriches us because it flows naturally from within, unlike the forced rigidity that is as a result of trying to be someone else. It resonates with others around us as they perceive a genuine connection with us, devoid of any sense duplicity. People can trust us because they see a consistency and alignment of our actions, values and beliefs. And while our authenticity will not appeal to all (it is not expected to), yet those ordained for us will certainly be drawn by it. Every time we are authentic, we win. 

However, even as I discuss the significance of authenticity, I feel compelled to caution us against misconstruing it as a license for mediocrity or lawlessness, far from it. Neither is this an admonition against learning from others. Authenticity is not perfection, and as such, we will always be learning and growing and changing. However, it is my believe that we best grow and learn from others when we remain anchored in our true essence. 

I end by charging us, Be True to Yourself. 

As always, I am eager to hear your insights on the topic of authenticity. Tschuss!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flash 7: An Epiphany.

Flash 6: A Land Without Borders?

Flash 1: On Fear.