Flash 1: On Fear.


One of the “and their eyes were opened” moments regarding fear occurred for me when I acknowledged my aversion to making important decisions concerning my life. I preferred to defer that task to others and allow them make decisions for me. Significant decision-making moments would always be tarnished by the ugly presence of that dark looming ashen monster called fear. I would hear his subtle whispers deep within my soul. My mind would serve as the canvas on which he painted his garish paintings of all the things that would possibly go wrong if I made the wrong choices. Consequently, the winds would be taken out of my sail, leaving me at the harbor when I should have been sailing.

Upon closer inspection of life, it becomes evident that the world is a cauldron of simmering fears controlling us. Despite our belief that we are masters of our destinies, a thorough examination of our thought and decision-making processes easily proves who runs the show for most of us. It comes in many shades and colors, such as control, manipulation, procrastination, evasion etc. Indeed, fear we have been taught and learned. Fear of the known and unknown, truth and lies, success and failure, past and future and so on constantly shape our behaviors. 

Simply put, fear is our emotional response to perceived threat or danger. At the root of fear is the instinct for self-preservation and protection. In this context then, fear serves as a vital mechanism for survival, even as one man said, ‘man must survive’. However, what if our instinct for self-preservation becomes the double-edged sword that undermines us? What if our excessive fixation with self-preservation becomes our undoing, transforming us into puppet slaves of the cruel task master called fear? How many people survive to the twilight of their lives only to realize that they traded their glory for the miserly scraps sold to them by fear?

Contrary to what fear would have us believe, much of the progress witnessed in societies has always been spearheaded by individuals who dared to transcend beyond survival and self- preservation in pursuit of higher good. Indeed, there exists a realm of beauty and glory, a realm of purpose and fulfillment that is reserved for those who would conquer fear at the gates and break through. Men and women who will catch fear by the horns and ruthlessly conquer him. Individuals whose ears are deaf to fear's taunts, and their eyes singularly focused on the prize that lays beyond fear's gates. I challenge you, even as I challenge myself, let us break free from the shackles of fear!

Shilako Abutaka. 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flash 7: An Epiphany.

Flash 6: A Land Without Borders?